Xinhua News Agency via Getty Images
CORONAVIRUS – The Chinese city of Xi’an, where 13 million inhabitants are confined, announced this Sunday, December 26, a “total” disinfection and tightened the restrictions, at a time when China records a record number of Covid-19 contaminations for 21 months.
The Asian country has been applying a “zero Covid” strategy since last year, which consists of doing everything to limit the occurrence of new cases as much as possible. The authorities are redoubling their vigilance to avoid any major outbreak before the Beijing Winter Olympics (February 4-20).
But sporadic outbreaks occur regularly in recent months. As for example in Xi’an (north), known worldwide for its army buried in terracotta and confined since Thursday. The metropolis reported 155 new Covid patients on Sunday, bringing the total to nearly 500 over the past few weeks.
“In the coming days, a number of cases are still likely to be detected,” Xi’an official He Wenquan warned, calling on the population not to “panic”. Some 29,000 people have been placed in solitary confinement in specific hotels, the official said.
The city of Xi’an is located about 900 km from the Olympic venues. To prevent further spread, residents of Xi’an have already been tested several times, authorities said. And a “total” disinfection was to begin Sunday evening. Restrictions have also been tightened for residents.
206 new cases in China, record since March 2020
Now, each household in Xi’an can only send one of its members once every three days to buy basic necessities. The previous authorization was for two days.
All “non-essential” businesses, except supermarkets, convenience stores and medical facilities, have been ordered to close.
China reported 206 new Covid-19 infections on its soil on Sunday. This is the highest number of contaminations over a day since March 2020.
The Asian country, where the first cases of Covid were discovered two years ago in Wuhan (center), has nevertheless largely controlled the epidemic on its soil. Life has returned to normal since the spring of 2020 and the country has officially recorded only two deaths in over a year.
See also on The HuffPost: In Hong Kong, a statue in memory of the Tiananmen crackdown debunked