Soldiers in uniform announced this Monday, January 24 on national television that they had seized power in Burkina Faso.
The latter pledged to “return to a constitutional order” within “a reasonable time”.
Reading a press release signed by Lieutenant-Colonel Paul-Henri Sandaogo Damiba, president of the Patriotic Movement for Safeguarding and Restoration (MPSR) which now holds power, a captain also announced the closing of the borders from midnight, the dissolution of the government and the National Assembly, as well as the suspension of the Constitution.
A confused day
Earlier in the day, the party of the President of Burkina Faso, Roch Marc Kaboré, the People’s Movement for Progress (MPP), had denounced a “failed attempt to assassinate the Head of State”.
The fate of Roch Marc Kaboré remains cloudy after this mutiny of soldiers in several barracks in the country.
The international community is stepping up
UN Secretary General Antonio Guterres has “strongly condemned” the military “coup” committed in the country.
He called on the authors to “lay down their arms” and to protect the “physical integrity” of President Roch Marc Kaboré.
For its part, Washington called on the army of Burkina Faso for the “immediate release” of President Roch Marc Kaboré” as well as for respect for the “Constitution”.
“We urge all parties in this changing situation to maintain calm and seek dialogue to resolve their grievances,” a spokesman for US diplomacy told AFP. A requirement shared by the European Union, as well as the African Union.
France warns its nationals
France on Monday called on its nationals to avoid any travel to Burkina Faso. Paris says it is particularly attentive to the protection of the French community.
“France is following the current events in Burkina Faso with the greatest attention. We are particularly attentive to the protection of the French community. We called on our nationals to be careful and to avoid any travel,” said the spokesperson for the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.